Showing all 3 results
Buying bulk hazelnuts is a convenient way to stock up on a popular tree nut. Keep them on hand for snacks or feature them in a wide range of your favorite recipes for that next special occasion.
Filberts or more commonly known as the hazelnut, are a staple in many confectionary processes including pralines. Often paired with chocolate, filbert’s distinct taste can be easily spotted.
- Promote A Healthy Heart – filberts, like many tree nuts, promote heart health because of monosaturated fatty acids. Lowering bad but also boosting good cholesterol.
- Regulate Blood Pressure – hazelnuts are high in magnesium, helping to manage the balance of calcium and potassium, lowering blood pressure
- Manage Diabetes – diabetics must focus on a higher monosaturated fat intake than trans and saturated fats. Eating hazelnuts is a source of good fat.
- Antioxidant Powerhouse - filberts are filled with vitamins and minerals that fight off damaging free radicals in the body, helping to ward off chronic diseases
- Brain Food – high levels of vitamin E, manganese, folate, and thiamine can help keep the brain working at its peak and fight diseases like Alzheimer’s or dementia
- Fight Obesity – studies have shown hazelnuts stimulate healthy metabolism and provide a boost in weight loss
Why are Hazelnuts called Filberts?
How did the hazelnut also become known as the Filbert? Well if you believe folklore, the alias is said to have a religious origin.
The most commonly believed story is that the peak harvest time for the hazelnut is mid to late August, which falls close to the feast day of St. Philbert, August 20th. Naturally, over time the hazelnut took on the name of the French saint, being called the “Filbert.”
In the U.S. Hazelnuts have even more aliases also being referred to as the cob nut.